It was way back in 1898 that a young Lewis Davenport started the business that is now being carried on by his great-grandson, Bill Davenport. Lewis was a music-hall performer, presenting a magic act that incorporated sleight-of-hand with cards and billiard balls. He was also an illusionist, and a comedy magician – so covered all the bases!
Lewis was born in the EastEnd of London in 1881, the son of a cooper (barrel maker). He decided that the family coopering business was not for him, so he decided to follow his passion for magic.
Our first shop was in the Mile End Road, but we quickly moved to the West End of London in the second year of the Twentieth Century.
From 1961 to 1984 we occupied No 51, Great Russell Street, a wonderful old victorian shop, exactly opposite the main entrance of the British Museum.
In 1984 we moved to our larger, purpose build location on the Strand (or rather underneath it!). We have a shop where we sell a vast array of magic tricks, books, accessories, cards and DVDs for all levels of ability from total beginner to seasoned professional.
We also have a magic studio/theatre, where we hold our magic courses, lectures, as well as hosting the regular meetings of the London Society of Magicians.